Mobile Technology & Global Health with MPH Nikhil Patil
In this episode of Device Squad—the podcast for the Mobile Enterprise from Propelics—Steve talks about the state of mobile technology in global health with his friend, Nikhil Patil, MPH, Environmental Health PhD candidate, and all-around super-fascinating dude.
Nikhil has been immersed in global health for the past ten years. He volunteered with the Peace Corps in Togo, West Africa, spent a year in Kenya studying the effects of water sanitation, hygiene and nutrition on child health-care outcomes, and helped build a research department for eHealth Africa in Northern Nigeria to improve health programs and data systems.
Tune into this episode to learn how the African continent utilizes:
- Corporate-sponsored internet
- The role of drones in health care
- The participatory approach: the importance of social media
- “Crisis Mapping” for diseases, unrest, and natural disasters
- Securing and managing data & dealing with false data
- Sustainable systems (and finding ownership)
- Integrating technology into government health systems to facilitate interoperability
- Low-tech solutions to high-tech problems
- Phone-data collection methods
- How gender affects technology access and data collection accuracy.
- How interoperability will future-proof remote medical technologies
- How to start your car in Togo
Links in the episode:
Nikhil’s Twitter Handle: @npatil55
Nikhil’s Instagram: npatil55